7.12.2008

Porch Garden

During the warm days of May I got super excited about the idea of
planting a porch garden. I haven't had much luck at caring for live
things -my fish have died, the frog grew mold and the beautiful cut
flowers Daniel brings home don't last as long as they should.
But... if I'm trying to be better to Mother Earth, I might
as well try growing a few things. Plus, maybe this
will compensate for the energy
we use for the Wii playing!

I planted the array of pots with varieties of tomatoes (roma, beefsteak and patio's), hot peppers, basil, lemon balm, strawberries, mint and sweet peppers. I wasn't expecting much when I planted the little sprouts in May but have been pleasantly surprised. It's fun to see them gain height and flower. Then watching the blossoms being replaced by little green bundles, eventually sprouting into jalepenos, tomatoes and banana peppers.

We've had our first little harvest... two tomatoes so far.
There is just something so rewarding about growing your own food,
having the ability to go out to the garden
and pick the fruit from the vine.




The Tibetan flags that
flutter in the wind.





Yum Yum Peppers

Yummy fresh caprese salad made with porch-grown tomatoes
and basil with fresh mozzerella after the harvest!

2 comments:

Mariko said...

OOooooo. I love that salad. Tomatoes have been hard to get lately.

Sarah H said...

Your garden looks great! It is so satisfying to grow your own food. Since we moved into a townhome and have a new baby I'm doing anything this summer, but hopefully next summer I can get some pots going like you. Well, I did grow one pot of basil. Can't live without fresh basil in the summer. That salad you made being one of the reasons.
Wish we could share some meals together--I think we'd have fun!